This proposal introduces a simpler design, while sharing a common philosophy and objectives of earlier proposals and the RSK white paper.
The proposal introduces rent as variable fees for accessing state trie. These fees can help
- make storage payments fairer by introducing a time dimension to storage fees
- improve state caching by introducing a cache hierarchy
- help secure the network from some IO attacks
- reduce the likelihood of storage spam and gas arbitrage
- encourage developers and product designers to treat state storage more judiciously - important for long term scalability, sustainability and fairness
Link to proposal (RSKIP240)